Tag Archives: furnace

Still Surviving.

31 Dec

I still don’t have a working furnace and am still dealing with CO. I do wish the CO detector had come with better instructions.  After it went off again, I called the local fire department, and the chief, my cousin, came out with the department’s CO reader.  It gave me a ppm (parts per million) number.  Unfortunately, neither one of us knew what it meant.  I did some searching on-line, and found the information I needed–what is a safe level of CO.  Ironically the website was from the company which made the detector.

The CO reader said my house was at 68/69 ppm.  We turned the furnace on to see what happened, and it climbed to 71 in just a couple of minutes.  That explains why I had to take a nap and was tired.  Sky didn’t even wake up to go do chores with me, but once I got out there, I had more energy again.  My eyes.  My eyes were killing me.  Crazy stuff.  Anyhow, I took most of the cats back to the soap room, kicked Sky and Bob outside, and I spent the night at my dad’s again.

Rocky had to have a way to look out the window.

The detector was still going off when I came out in the morning.  At least this time, I knew to just let it keep screaming instead of restarting it and having to wait another eight hours to see that it was still in unacceptable levels. That meant I had to figure something out because our weather is turning horribly cold again tonight.  I had already been planning on cleaning the soap room out so I could paint the floor, so I just cleaned it out and turned it into a nice little living space (sort of).

The last thing was to bring Sky into the soap room.  He was extremely grateful and happy to be back inside with everyone.  So much for no animals in the soap room.  Sigh…

Sky

He was amazingly well behaved also.  I told him not to go out in the milk room (where the cat litter is), and he listened.  He’s such a good boy.

Of course, as soon as I got him moved, the alarm quit sounding.  That’s a good thing, but still…  Anyhow, I moved the detector to the upstairs.  So far it hasn’t gone off.  Tonight I’ll move it to the basement, and if it doesn’t go off down there, then I can move the cats back in.

Leo

I’m already back in the house with Sky because we will stay on the first floor that I know is cleared out.  I just hope the heaters manage to keep the house warm with the frigid temperatures coming.  I guess, if it doesn’t I can always go back out to the soap room.

This is really not how I planned to spend my winter break.  Here’s to a better 2019! (Although, I cannot express how lucky and grateful I feel right now that this did not turn out worse.)

Baby, It’s Cold Inside

29 Dec

Our warm rainy day ended with a cold front coming through.  That means that we went from 50* F (10*C) on the 27th to a high of 28*F (-2.22*C) at midnight for the 28th.

Annie in the doorway and Bonnie outside

It also means that’s when my furnace decided to break down.  I called the repair man first thing in the morning, and he blessedly made it here right away.  Unfortunately, the part he needed to fix it won’t be here until January 2nd.  He did a hobbled fix and got the furnace going.  He also really recommended I have a CO detector since I didn’t have one in the house.

I was just getting ready to run to town to get one when my mom called and said she had a brand new one that her sister had given her.  I could use it.  Yay!  Well, about 10:15 that night, it went off.  Joy.  I decided not to believe it and hit the reset button.  But I got paranoid and read more directions and decided to unplug it and plug it back in.  I wasn’t paranoid.  There really was CO, and it immediately began sounding the alarm.  That means I had to catch all the cats and get them out to the soap room.  They were not happy with that arrangement.

Snickers

Sky got kicked outside for the night.  Poor boy.

Sky

I shut the furnace off and went to my dad’s house for the night.  I came back this morning, and the house was luckily only down to 52*F (11.11*C).  I was quite happy with that since we were all the way down to 10* F (-12.22*C) for our low.  I unplugged the CO detector and plugged it back in, and it didn’t go off!  I got my space heaters out and borrowed a couple from my dad.

Now we’re in survival mode until the part comes in.  I brought plants downstairs and shut the door to keep all of the heat on this one floor.

Leo was not happy with not getting to go sleep on his bed upstairs, but he’ll settle for napping on mine all day.

Leo

I think the only casuality (so far) is that one poor flower in the cut arrangement I got just before Christmas.

I’ll call it a win.

I’ve decided I’ll just sit here and work on my current knitting project–another baby blanket.

If It’s Not One Thing…

21 Nov

You’ve heard that expression~If it’s not one thing, it’s another.  Well, I seem to be dealing with both one thing and another.  I’ve had on and off issues with the furnace/central air since the end of the furnace weather last spring.  After it was pooling gas due to things rusting through and then igniting with a big boom, I was a bit paranoid.

Well, no, it tried blowing me up, so I’m not paranoid.  Anyhow, I’m getting a new furnace put in tomorrow.  This one has been in the house for probably 25 years, so that’s pretty darn good!

I’m sure this one was good in its day, but I’m guessing (and hoping) a newer model will result in a more efficient furnace as well.

Another thing going on is my painful foot.  I bruised the heel last spring when I was going over fences and stepping onto the concrete several times a day when I was feeding all those bottle kids.

Well, the official diagnosis is plantar fasciitis.  I get to stretch, take anti-inflammatories, ice it, and wear good shoes.

Well, I already wear podiatrist recommended shoes most of the time.  This time, he gave me his recommendation for the barnyard, so I got new shoes before I came home too.  Bet snickers won’t be trying that after they’ve been worn.

These shoes are not for just sitting around, and I guarantee they won’t be up on the coffee table again.

It won’t take long to get them really worn in.

As if one thing and another wasn’t enough, I have this as well…

I’ve kept birds in this part of the barn since I’ve lived here.  Not once have I had a rodent problem until this summer.  First it was rats.  Then it was raccoons.  Now it’s…  I have no idea what is digging like this.

I’m thinking mole or ground hog.  At any rate, I moved the nest boxes and I’ll have to try and figure out how to convince the intruder to move away.   I think I confused my girls.

Wish I could believe it was just the girls with all their digging, but that’s too big of a pile for even them.  Although, this hen is getting a pretty good hole here.

Well, I guess that’s enough for today.  Besides, I need to go finish cleaning  out the furnace room.  I just don’t know how so much “stuff” accumulates in those little used places.  I guess my soap making will have to wait one more day.