Tag Archives: cleanup

The Deck

18 Sep

There’s still work going on.  The shingles are done, but there’s still work on the soffit and fascia.  I’m switching from black, which fades and looks horrible over time, to white.  It isn’t as dramatic, but hopefully it stays white.

Black on the left; original wood in the middle and lower level; white on the top right

After the roof, the next project will be replacing the deck.  You might recall that it was pretty damaged in the derecho also.

Well, in order for it to be replaced, I had to do some weed and scrub tree removal.

Seriously.  I just can’t keep up.

And with the death of the big oak tree in my front yard (and the magnolia that was taken out in the derecho), there’s a lot more sunshine and the weeds and scrub trees grow much faster.

I also have wild grapes growing back there.  I really had planned last year on using the vines for a project and then getting rid of them, but that didn’t work out. Now I need to get rid of them again, and I’m guessing once again I won’t have time for the fun, crafty project.

Anyhow, I spent part of last weekend trying to make the deck accessible to tear out and replace.  I’m working on it.

It will be interesting to see how my dog reacts to all the deck removal and building.

Sky

He’s been good with the roof so far, but it’s harder to go stick your nose in someone’s face when they are on the roof.

A Busy Short Week

12 Sep

I swear this might have only been a four day week with the holiday, but it has been crazy busy.  It started with the roof of my house finally getting shingled this week.

Well, it’s in progress.

Wednesday, as soon as I got home from work, I scooped up Tiger and took him to the vet.  He was fixed the next morning, and my mom picked him up and brought him home Friday morning.  I don’t think it slowed him down at all.

Rocky appreciated a break from the kitten constantly bouncing on him.  Poor boy.

Rocky

As always, I have also been out to pasture counting kids.

I’m still milking.   Onyx is still doing well with training, but she isn’t giving me much.  Most of my girls are starting to slow down their production. I’m down to three quarts a day from the five I had been getting.

Caroline

I weaned Pretzel, but I’m not sure that made things easier because she still follows me and sucks on my fingers and clothes and things she should have a bottle.

Pretzel running to see if I have a bottle.

I also spent a stupid amount of time trying to figure out how I messed up the settings on my big girl camera because it wasn’t focusing properly.  Hours later, I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn’t me and the camera is in the process of dying. This poor baby has had a lot of hard use in rather dirty conditions. Sadly, I am not sure when I’ll be able to replace it because they don’t make the same camera anymore, and it’s hard to get electronics (at least the ones I’ve looked at) because of the pandemic.  Hopefully, my dear Nikon can hang in there for a while yet.

It’s been an exhausting week, and the weekend has been even more busy.  It might take me all of next week’s posts just to get through the weekend activities.

Getting Stuff Done

17 Jun

I’ve been working on getting a lot of projects done that I just couldn’t get around to before I was done working for the summer.  Of course, some of them require help because I don’t have the equipment or skills to do them on my own.

But progress is being made!  First, my dad sent a mower out so I can mow myself.  The first thing I did was mow behind the giant rock pile.  Yay!  That is much better.

It also has allowed me to get the wheelbarrow through there so I could clean out the garage.  Of course, I had to put air in the tire before I could get started.

I haven’t been able to get it done since I had livestock in there all winter.

That was quite a task, and even though it’s scooped, I still have a lot of cleaning and rearranging to do yet.

My nephew stopped by one day and spread out a bunch of the rock.

I’m liking that!  No more water ponding in front of the garage door.  I might also be able to put something besides the Ranger in the south side of the garage.

I’ve also prepped the milk room door for a stoop to be placed there.

We’re going to move this big concrete slab to try and keep the mud out of my milk/soap rooms.

Because I didn’t have a mower for a while (and my push mower might not work since the goats took the gas cap off last winter and I don’t know how long it sat there like that), I ordered a machete and a weed eater.

I’m really liking delivery.  I’ve started waging war on the weeds around my farm.  The machete is necessary to get rid of all the huge cockle burrs.

I can actually see my front gate and not fight through tall grass to get it open.  I’m liking the weed eater, but I went through the whole battery life in no time flat.  Obviously, this is an ongoing project.

Another delivery was replacement clothesline because the goats might have chewed the old line to bits.  I had some, but I didn’t have enough to do the whole thing, so it should be here soon.  I’m hoping to use it for all my laundry this coming weekend.

I washed the llama coat I made last winter

These tasks have been keeping me quite busy lately, and I have a lot more of these small home/farm improvement jobs planned.