Archive | 4:20 pm

Still Surviving.

31 Dec

I still don’t have a working furnace and am still dealing with CO. I do wish the CO detector had come with better instructions.  After it went off again, I called the local fire department, and the chief, my cousin, came out with the department’s CO reader.  It gave me a ppm (parts per million) number.  Unfortunately, neither one of us knew what it meant.  I did some searching on-line, and found the information I needed–what is a safe level of CO.  Ironically the website was from the company which made the detector.

The CO reader said my house was at 68/69 ppm.  We turned the furnace on to see what happened, and it climbed to 71 in just a couple of minutes.  That explains why I had to take a nap and was tired.  Sky didn’t even wake up to go do chores with me, but once I got out there, I had more energy again.  My eyes.  My eyes were killing me.  Crazy stuff.  Anyhow, I took most of the cats back to the soap room, kicked Sky and Bob outside, and I spent the night at my dad’s again.

Rocky had to have a way to look out the window.

The detector was still going off when I came out in the morning.  At least this time, I knew to just let it keep screaming instead of restarting it and having to wait another eight hours to see that it was still in unacceptable levels. That meant I had to figure something out because our weather is turning horribly cold again tonight.  I had already been planning on cleaning the soap room out so I could paint the floor, so I just cleaned it out and turned it into a nice little living space (sort of).

The last thing was to bring Sky into the soap room.  He was extremely grateful and happy to be back inside with everyone.  So much for no animals in the soap room.  Sigh…

Sky

He was amazingly well behaved also.  I told him not to go out in the milk room (where the cat litter is), and he listened.  He’s such a good boy.

Of course, as soon as I got him moved, the alarm quit sounding.  That’s a good thing, but still…  Anyhow, I moved the detector to the upstairs.  So far it hasn’t gone off.  Tonight I’ll move it to the basement, and if it doesn’t go off down there, then I can move the cats back in.

Leo

I’m already back in the house with Sky because we will stay on the first floor that I know is cleared out.  I just hope the heaters manage to keep the house warm with the frigid temperatures coming.  I guess, if it doesn’t I can always go back out to the soap room.

This is really not how I planned to spend my winter break.  Here’s to a better 2019! (Although, I cannot express how lucky and grateful I feel right now that this did not turn out worse.)