Archive | December, 2018

Still Surviving.

31 Dec

I still don’t have a working furnace and am still dealing with CO. I do wish the CO detector had come with better instructions.  After it went off again, I called the local fire department, and the chief, my cousin, came out with the department’s CO reader.  It gave me a ppm (parts per million) number.  Unfortunately, neither one of us knew what it meant.  I did some searching on-line, and found the information I needed–what is a safe level of CO.  Ironically the website was from the company which made the detector.

The CO reader said my house was at 68/69 ppm.  We turned the furnace on to see what happened, and it climbed to 71 in just a couple of minutes.  That explains why I had to take a nap and was tired.  Sky didn’t even wake up to go do chores with me, but once I got out there, I had more energy again.  My eyes.  My eyes were killing me.  Crazy stuff.  Anyhow, I took most of the cats back to the soap room, kicked Sky and Bob outside, and I spent the night at my dad’s again.

Rocky had to have a way to look out the window.

The detector was still going off when I came out in the morning.  At least this time, I knew to just let it keep screaming instead of restarting it and having to wait another eight hours to see that it was still in unacceptable levels. That meant I had to figure something out because our weather is turning horribly cold again tonight.  I had already been planning on cleaning the soap room out so I could paint the floor, so I just cleaned it out and turned it into a nice little living space (sort of).

The last thing was to bring Sky into the soap room.  He was extremely grateful and happy to be back inside with everyone.  So much for no animals in the soap room.  Sigh…

Sky

He was amazingly well behaved also.  I told him not to go out in the milk room (where the cat litter is), and he listened.  He’s such a good boy.

Of course, as soon as I got him moved, the alarm quit sounding.  That’s a good thing, but still…  Anyhow, I moved the detector to the upstairs.  So far it hasn’t gone off.  Tonight I’ll move it to the basement, and if it doesn’t go off down there, then I can move the cats back in.

Leo

I’m already back in the house with Sky because we will stay on the first floor that I know is cleared out.  I just hope the heaters manage to keep the house warm with the frigid temperatures coming.  I guess, if it doesn’t I can always go back out to the soap room.

This is really not how I planned to spend my winter break.  Here’s to a better 2019! (Although, I cannot express how lucky and grateful I feel right now that this did not turn out worse.)

Advertisements

Spiked Egg Nog Cake

30 Dec

I agonized over what to have for a dessert when my family came out Christmas Eve.  I wanted to try something new and different, and I finally settled on Spiked Egg Nog Cake.

It was amazing!  Unlike a traditional rum cake, this one is light.

Cake:

Cream:
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/3 cup sugar

Add:
2 eggs

Alternate adding the dry and liquid ingredients:

3 cups flour
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1 1/3 cup egg not
1 Tbsp. rum extract

To make the cream filling mix:

1 cup chevre (or cream cheese) softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp softened butter
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1 egg
2 Tbsp. egg nog
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Put half the batter ont he bottom of a well greased and floured bundt pan.  Drizzle the cheese mixture around and finish covering with the remaining batter.  Bake at 350*F for 40 – 50 minutes.  When the cake is completely cooled, remove it from the pan and drizzle with the glaze.

Glaze:

1 – 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (depending how much you want the glaze to soak into the cake)
1/4 cup egg nog
1/4 tsp. rum extract
f.g. of nutmeg

Since this is the perfect holiday cake, HERE is a printable version so you can print it and keep it until next year!

Baby, It’s Cold Inside

29 Dec

Our warm rainy day ended with a cold front coming through.  That means that we went from 50* F (10*C) on the 27th to a high of 28*F (-2.22*C) at midnight for the 28th.

Annie in the doorway and Bonnie outside

It also means that’s when my furnace decided to break down.  I called the repair man first thing in the morning, and he blessedly made it here right away.  Unfortunately, the part he needed to fix it won’t be here until January 2nd.  He did a hobbled fix and got the furnace going.  He also really recommended I have a CO detector since I didn’t have one in the house.

I was just getting ready to run to town to get one when my mom called and said she had a brand new one that her sister had given her.  I could use it.  Yay!  Well, about 10:15 that night, it went off.  Joy.  I decided not to believe it and hit the reset button.  But I got paranoid and read more directions and decided to unplug it and plug it back in.  I wasn’t paranoid.  There really was CO, and it immediately began sounding the alarm.  That means I had to catch all the cats and get them out to the soap room.  They were not happy with that arrangement.

Snickers

Sky got kicked outside for the night.  Poor boy.

Sky

I shut the furnace off and went to my dad’s house for the night.  I came back this morning, and the house was luckily only down to 52*F (11.11*C).  I was quite happy with that since we were all the way down to 10* F (-12.22*C) for our low.  I unplugged the CO detector and plugged it back in, and it didn’t go off!  I got my space heaters out and borrowed a couple from my dad.

Now we’re in survival mode until the part comes in.  I brought plants downstairs and shut the door to keep all of the heat on this one floor.

Leo was not happy with not getting to go sleep on his bed upstairs, but he’ll settle for napping on mine all day.

Leo

I think the only casuality (so far) is that one poor flower in the cut arrangement I got just before Christmas.

I’ll call it a win.

I’ve decided I’ll just sit here and work on my current knitting project–another baby blanket.