We have hay cut! We implemented Plan C today. We started with the easy part. This was around the north edge of the new farm.
Doesn’t this look wonderful? We don’t have rain in the forecast until Sunday.
By then, even this waterway will be lovely bales in my barn.
The second part of Plan C begins with coming in my driveway. Notice how big that tractor is and how it doesn’t line up directly behind the tractor. This will play an important part of the story later.
The first red gate was no problem. The next one was coming off the turn, so he had to go through, back up and then finish coming through.
This led to another hairpin turn into the next gate.
I don’t know why he was worried it wouldn’t fit through the one above. There’s a couple of inches to spare. Another turn and try to swing around to go through where we pulled two posts (one left us about an inch shy of fitting through, so we had to pull another one.
It does have the entire hill draining through the cattle barn (not my idea, and I’m trying to figure out how to make it better), the tractor was slipping, and he was trying to back up to get the Discbine through. It didn’t work so well.
He called his dad to come and assist. Norm reminded him that he can change positions of the Discbine, and that helped. They also used the backhoe to remove some of the, shall we call it, compost before they came back through.
No problems. I’m relieved that there is not a bigger piece of equipment that has to go through there, and our dry weather should make it easier for out next trips through here. The buffer strip was mowed with ease.
Look at all that hay. I’m so excited.
Jeremy did take it back to the pasture and over his crossings. He did get stuck once, but the backhoe came through and got him out. Then he mowed the next hill, and I now have to go pick up some rocks before we rake it on Thursday.
Plan C is a life saver, but I’m really hoping that we can go back to Plan B before our second cutting.