We’ve been working on the fence on the back forty for several months. It’s been a long process, but we have the next section in and functional. Finally. First we removed the barbed wire and took the staples out holding the woven wire netting.
The backhoe makes removing the fence so much easier. We just wrap the chain around the old posts and pull it tight, so Jeremy can lift it out with the hoe.
Look at that powerful piece of equipment!
Now that the posts were gone, we could fasten a chain around the netting and pull it with the backhoe. Because the fence had been here a while, it was getting buried, and there’s no way we were getting it out by hand.
Once we had them all pulled and the woven wire removed, we set the new end posts. These are a lot bigger and stronger than the rest of the posts, but these are the ones that have the most stress on them. We used the post driver to set these end posts, two on each end.
Then we use a brace to fasten them together and add more strength.
Once the brace is attached, we use number nine wire to create another brace to finish supporting it. Some braces, like below go straight across the top. Some people use another wooden post for the brace. Some metal braces go at an angle. If you have one at an angle, you still want the metal brace on the top of the outside end post. The wire will go on the bottom. Sorry I don’t have more steps showing the way to attach and twist the wire, but I was actually working.
After the end posts are completely ready, we stretched a strand of barbed wire and pulled it tight. This serves as the guide to set the new posts.
We used the backhoe to set the rest of the new posts. We put one wooden and then two metal posts all the way down. Then we unrolled the woven wire.
This is the part where I lost some of my help, and I don’t have more pictures. To sum up, once we got it rolled out, we used a fence stretcher. It attaches to the woven wire and then a chain hooks it to the backhoe. Then you stretch. As it gets tighter, it will stand up. Then you just have to staple and hook it to the posts.
I confess, this isn’t the stretch of fence we just did, but it was done the same way, and it was hot and rainy and I didn’t get a picture of the one we did. Maybe I’ll get these details in the next stretch of fence we do.
Be sure to visit Deborah Jean for more Farmgirl Friday posts. Please note, she does have a new web address now.